It's been a week of "You cannot hoop at all." I have been so awful on my daily 30 minute practice but I try to pick up the hoop for at least a few minutes a few times a week. I wake up hobbling because my tendon hurts so much. Funny thing about this injury is that it feels better to move. I feel worse going to work than coming home.
I want everyone to take care of your feet and ankles in this new year. Try some of these exercises to strengthen your feet and ankles:
- Calf raises. You can use your hoop to help you balance. Raise on your toes and lower back to the ground slowly. I would slowly build up to these. Don't start doing as many as you can in a minute.
- Toe circles. Use your toes to draw circles in the air. Do these as small or as large as you comfortably can. Do these in both directions.
- Front and back foot flex. Point your toes out and flex your foot all the way. You'll feel your range of motion in this way.
- Balancing postures. Balance on one foot. This strengthens your ankles. This is a move that is good for your knees too. Once holding for 30 seconds is easy, try it with your eyes closed!
- When you are sitting, do the front and back foot flex with your feet on the ground. This is another great range of motion exercise. Easy to do if you are at a desk at work, too!
Expert village on youtube has great achilles tendon exercises if you wanted to see this in motion. Keep your feet healthy. They are your root to the earth and the foundation of your hoopdance!